Foundations of Trauma - An Introduction to Life-Threat, Traumatic Loss, and Moral Injury
Presenter: Josh Mantz
Length: 2.0 Hours
Format: Digital (live Zoom session).
Audience: This training is tailored for leaders and peer support experts in the military, law-enforcement, firefighting, and emergency medicine professions.
This cross-disciplinary workshop aims to introduce leaders of military & first-responder organizations and their peer support teams to the concept of moral injury and explains its relevance to psychological trauma in an operational setting. This session draws from the disciplines of process-relational philosophy, moral psychology, and psychological trauma to deliver a comprehensive introduction to understanding moral injury. Responsible phenomenological accounts are leveraged to provide a vivid understanding of how potentially morally injurious experiences (PMIE’s) manifest in real-time under traumatic conditions.
(1) Participants will be able to differentiate the 3 sources of psychological trauma including life-threat, traumatic loss, and moral injury and describe how these sources appear in modern conflict and crisis.
(2) Participants will be able to distinguish between the symptoms of hyper-arousal and hypo-arousal in PTSD and explain the relationship of each to the three sources of trauma.
(3) Participants will be able to describe the function of the autonomic response (i.e. flight, fight, or freeze) under life-threatening conditions and demonstrate how these experiences can lay foundations for both post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and post-traumatic growth (PTG).
(4) Participants will be able to define moral injury. They will be able to explain 3 of the primary determinants for moral injury (responsibility, justification, wrongdoing) and describe at least 3 situational or tactical variables that can amplify moral trauma.
(5) Participants will be able to evaluate the “moral landscape” of trauma by leveraging the variables of chronicity, intensity, and complexity.
Sign up to receive updates on content and upcoming events!